Monday, November 20, 2006

Snow Days

A photo of me ice skating when I was little. I’m thinking I was about 5 years old, but I’ll check with my Mom prior to printing.

Journaling:
Living in Alaska was such a treat as a child. We spent as much time outdoors as possible. During the summer I remember being so upset that I couldn’t stay up late and play ball outside with the rest of the neighborhood kids while the sun shined late into the night. But during the winter we enjoyed the snow and ice as much as we could. We even tried to build igloos in the front yard one time. We weren’t very successful, but we had so much fun trying.

I remember one day when my grandparents were visiting, I tried to walk through the yard to get to my grandpa. Unfortunately, the snow was too deep and I got stuck up to my waist. Fortunately, Grandpa was close by for a quick rescue.

I also remember one of the most fun activities of winter was when they pushed the snow from the street to the curb; we would get these huge mountains of snow that we spent hours climbing and playing on. We had such fun playing in the snow.

Another great memory was going ice skating. At that point in time I don’t think there was anything more thrilling than sliding across the ice on an outdoor rink with the cold air blowing across your face. Giving me and my brothers and sisters a love for ice skating.

Four years after moving to Anchorage my parents were transferred and we moved to Phoenix. Alaska and Arizona didn’t have many similarities, but we were still together, and we made many more fun memories in our new home. Although I was very young when we lived in Anchorage, I will always treasure the memories I have, and I will never forget the beauty that exists in Alaska.















Credits:
Everything used here (except stitching and title alpha) is from the new collaborative kit by Corina Nielsen and Kimberly Giarrusso called ‘Little Man Holiday’ which is available at Funky Playground Designs. The stitching is by Katie Pertiet and the stamped alpha by Michelle Coleman and the inking is from Nancie Rowe Janitz.

No comments: